Friday, April 22, 2016

So what

Morality is an important aspect of our decision-making and therefore, in many ways directs the path of our lives. While some of us form our morality through a system of religions others form it through their families and through personal experience. In this way morality is a key part in our development as a human being and defining where we end up. Morality is what defines the aspects of the world that are sourced in evil and in good. Its what will define whether each of us live out a virtuous life. For this reason morality is important in defining the path of our lives, which encompasses the first question that was presented in this course.

I personally choose to follow a method of virtue ethics throughout my daily life and the broader spectrum of my life plan. I use it on smaller issues in the way that I must always decide whether what I’m doing is in balance with what I assume to be the most virtuous way of living and thinking. For example, even on smaller issues of deciding whether to give homeless man money on my way to class. While I can’t always give him money, I believe that I stay true to my morality just by giving what I can when I can. The golden mean is an important rule that I often follow in order to keep in check on my moral decision-making, However, it interesting consider the idea that I have applied this moral theory in my life even before I knew the name or definition. I grew up going to Sunday school and was often influenced by more rule-based morals that are more typical for organized religion. Given my influence I still often times followed my own internal more code and applied in and compared with a more rule based approach of morals. Often times I found that the two moral codes lined up in their application for deciding what is right and what is wrong which is why I still fell a connection to my younger religious teachings, even if I don’t still practice my religion in the typical way of going to services and reading the Bible my morality is still imprinted with aspects of Christianity. For this reason it can be very confusing to evaluate whether my version of morality is a true projection of my true personal morality. Which also causes me to question whether there is a true inner morality or whether it is developed through influence. For this question alone, I must question the relation between who is defining my path and my moral code.


Morality is a primary form for decision-making; therefore, it’s an important aspect of defining our path. While my ideas on morality continue to change, my decision-making will change as well. Morality is a key aspect of defining our lives and the way that we look at the world. It is what makes us decide what the best way to live our lives is.

No comments:

Post a Comment